Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: On My Bike

Monday, 25 August 2008

On My Bike


After pretty much having the winter off from any type of fitness activity, this month I have started cycling again in order to start picking up my fitness levels ahead of a hoped for return to running in the spring.

Here are some pictures of my 'wheels'.




I ride my stationary bike at least twice a week in the evenings for 45 minutes. I've started riding in the evenings as I'm really not that good at getting up early unless I have to, IE to make and early start for work good or when I was running to fit in an early run. Also if I'm not up and about early then I can't be blamed for waking the kids too early.


After I'm finished on the bike I generally stretch for a half hour or so as well as doing some calf raises and some self massage on my calves to try and keep them from getting too stiff while I'm not running.

Here's my 'road bike'.



I take this baby out for a ride in the weekends. The last ride was only about 45 minutes but I will build that up to an hour in the coming weeks. She might not look as sleek and pacey as some other racing bikes out there, but I can still get a good work out done on her. I like having the option of doing some off road mountain biking also, though this isn't that frequent either.


I'm also fitting in a small amount of strength training on my weights bench.





At the moment its just leg extensions to work on strengthening the muscles around the knee so that when I start running these will hopefully be up to the job.

Last weekend was Jack's 7th birthday and we celebrated by taking both boys plus three of his mates to the local wave pool. There was also a hydro slide there which they all loved. Here's a pic of Jack and Sam exiting the slide.

5 comments:

Tesso said...

For a second there I thought that might be your backyard pool :)

Scott McMurtrey said...

That's a nice set of stationary wheels you got.

I took my mountain bike out this past weekend for the first time in a couple years. It was fun. I think I'll do it more.

Ewen said...

Yes, might have to have a six-pack on the tri nations, but I may need a start ;)

The weather is almost good enough for mountain biking now - I must fix my flat front tyre!

Unknown said...

That slide looks like it's calling my name. Nice job getting back in the saddle. I hope the leg extensions help with your running in the future.

Thomas said...

If you really manage 2x45 minutes on that damn stationary thing per week you're doing well.

I hope you've got a good music collection!