Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Running Again and finding my Chi

Tuesday, 7 October 2008

Running Again and finding my Chi

If you have been watching the blog closely over the last few weeks you may have noticed the miles starting to creep up in the running log over in my side bar. Yes with the arrival of spring and the best part of six months of rest behind me (but for a brief two weeks during June), I have started running again.

As I consider myself very much an expert in this area now after numerous enforced lay offs due to my ongoing Shin splint issues, I have started with very low and slow mileages. I am also using the run/walk method where I have frequent walking breaks so as not to stress the shins too much. The walking breaks are also coming in very handy as I have lost a good deal of fitness over the winter and it is a little hard to imagine even a 15 minute jog at present. Gradually the walking breaks will become less as my body adjusts and my fitness improves.

I am basically following this programme which Mark posted on CRN last year. I'm in week three currently and so far so good. I'm still taking care of the shins by icing them on run nights as they can still feel tender. I'm not sure whether this is just general soreness from starting to run again - hope so.

Still doing some stretching and self massage also to try and keep the calves loose. I'm also maintaining the biking as cross training , once or twice a week. I still have two more Bikram Yoga sessions left also which will last another two weeks.

I've learnt a lot over the last year or so about lower leg injuries and what do to avoid them etc. I big area for me has been learning about correct running form. This is one subject that I have again revisited in recent months. Last year I purchased a book on Chi Running which promotes a style of running which encourages the runner to lean forward from the ankles (rather than waist) which in turn produces a running style where the runner lands on their mid foot rather than heel. The basic premise being that if we can land on the mid foot with our foot under or behind our centre of gravity rather heel striking in front of our centre of gravity, the result is a much improved chance of avoid injury.

I thought seeing as I was about to embark on another come back it would be a good time to give this style a serious chance so I have re read the book and am trying hard to implement the technique.

I'll write in more detail about the specifics of the technique in another post as well as how I'm finding it and whether in fact it does help with injury prevention.

See ya round.


Technorati Tags


Subscribe in a reader

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you have been able to get back at it. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I think your focus on form is really going to help you. Heel-striking really puts a lot of impact on the legs, so I think Chi Running has a lot of merit. Good luck and I hope you stay healthy.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Great news that you are getting out there again Bruce.

I'm looking forward to your post on Chi running.

Aaron said...

Great news! Hope the chi-running style helps.

Ewen said...

Good luck with it Bruce. I hope it keeps you injury free and able to string together some ks and weeks.

My own thoughts are that landing under the centre of gravity (not ahead of it) will make the most difference. I think you can still do that and have a "light" heel landing (if your ankles are flexible), and quickly roll through onto the midfoot and toe. But... try the mid-foot touch and see how you go. If it works for you, you're off and running!

Unknown said...

We're all hoping for a pain free running existence for you. Focusing on form and easing back into things is definitely the smart way to go.

Kieran Mischewski said...

Good to hear you're getting back into things, I hope the change in style works out well for you - see you around