Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Banking the Miles - Week two

Sunday, 10 June 2007

Banking the Miles - Week two

Got in three runs this week as planned totalling 11.5 miles. This was week two of the build up programme, which I'm following to ensure I don't be increase my mileage too fast too soon and thus risk further shin splint damage.

The three runs were each of about 4 miles and should be at a slow and easy pace given I'm only two weeks back from my lay off and the shins have been a little tender.

I have to admit to sometimes having trouble holding back the competitor in me that just wants to race. I had wanted to run a 10K race today, however given my lay off and lack of running recently, I instead considered just running the 5k race. On Thursday's run, with the 5 k race in mind, I thought I would test the body with some intervals and did two one km intervals at my five km pace (around 4:35-4:40 pace).

This was probably a little foolish so soon after my lay off and with my shins still not 100% and sure enough what had been a comfortable and pain free easy run prior to the intervals, ended with some shin pain by the end. It was quite noticeable that the intervals brought with them the shin pain as my stride lengthened from the slower paced warm up to the faster paced interval. Tesso made an interesting comment on my last post, suggesting that shin splints can be brought on by over striding, so that is something that I will now keep an eye on also. It did seem that this could have been the case on Thursday's run.

Anyway, though I guess I could have entered the 5 k race and just treated it as a slow training run, I decided against it. Turned out to be the right decision as the weather at eight this morning was shocking. We also had had little sleep from 2:00am onwards with Jack having an upset stomach causing some vomiting.

The details;

Monday
Distance 6km (3.73 miles)
Time 30:47
Ave pace 5:08 min km (8:15 miles)
Max HR 173
Ave HR 152

Tuesday
Swim 1200 meters 33 minutes

Thursday
Distance 6.5km (4 miles)
Time 32:44
Ave pace 5:00 min km (8:04 miles)
Max HR 173
Ave HR 155

Sunday
Distance 6 km (3.73 miles)
Time 30:55
Ave pace 5:09 min km (8:17 miles)
Max HR 165
Ave HR 145

This week will be much the same with no real increase in mileage planned for another couple of weeks.

Have a good week.




Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

7 comments:

Ewen said...

I'd say you did the right thing by not racing.

With your build-up mileage, and even after that, my advice would be to run all non-specific training at a slower pace. 5:00/km at the moment is too quick for typical base-type training (if your 5k race pace is 4:30s).

I'd be running as easily as possible on general runs (keeping the HR as low as you can), even if, initially, it seems uncomfortably slow. About 5:45 to 6:00/km.

Over time, your pace will get quicker for the same low HR on these easy runs. Your race-pace will be faster too.

Kate said...

I am inclined to agree with Ewen on the pace (and on the being good and not racing...)

I race a 22:20 5k, and most of my training runs are 5:30+ pace- then again, my training has been so sporadic that I'm not seeing any speed increases, so I have no real advice!

Love2Run said...

Good to hear you trying to hold back. It's the hardest thing to do but worth it in the long run.

Unknown said...

I can cetainly understand the difficulty in holding back, but I am sure that you made the right decision not to race. You'll be back out there before you know it.

Scott McMurtrey said...

hey, thanks for stopping by. i was having some physical difficulties at the beginning of the year when i first started increasing my miles and eventual had to take 3 weeks off completely just to rest. mostly knees but also shins. i've been fighting the temptation even after that to go go go and not hold back, so i can understand where you're coming from. wish i had some awesome advice, but hey, i'm new at this too. good luck, good rest, good running, i guess. i'll be seeing you!

Legs and Wings said...

Hi Bruce, good to hear you are back out there again. There is no shame in taking it slow and easy.

Good luck to the Canadian Rugby lads...they'll have their hands full with you kiwis. I'm sure you'll win...but we are a stubborn lot and may give you a little fight. Let me know how it turns out.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I agree that not racing was probably the thing to do when you are getting over an injury...but it is hard when you want to race so bad.

I have been running in the Adidas Supernova Cushions for about 5 years now and love them. I haven't had a lot of the problems I had with Nike's and others since. I hope they work well for you.