Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Enjoying the Rest

Friday, 22 June 2007

Enjoying the Rest

Who finds it difficult to get into a new exercise routine when you're changing things around a bit?

I must admit I have been a bit lazy this week and apart from one 30 minute aqua running session on Monday, I've done absolutely nothing. I could come up with all the usual excuses like, a busy week and work, crap weather, too tired etc, but really I just haven't got my butt into gear yet and committed to any sort of routine. Often when I'm changing things around it can take a week or two to settle into a routine so hopefully I'll get organised shortly.

I've pretty much told myself that there's no running until September, so in that respect a week or two off now is probably not going to hurt me too much.

If I'm going to come back stronger in September though I know I need to keep cross training, keep working on maintaining what flexibility I have (which isn't a hell of a lot)and improving it if possible, and fit in some strength work.

When I do come back to running I might take it real slow and try the routine that Mark wrote about in this article. It seems a little bit like learning to walk again, but right now I'm almost prepared to try anything if it's going to keep me from getting shin splints again.

So seeing as I've got no running news to update you with I thought I'd share a bit of something else. Us Kiwi sports fans have got a huge double header to look forward to this weekend in the shape of two highly anticipated sporting clashes which have and will capture the attention of many New Zealanders.

In the early hours of Sunday morning (NZ time), Emirates Team New Zealand take on the the Swiss defender, Alinghi, in race one of the Americas Cup, arguably the most sought after trophy in yachting, in Valencia, Spain. The excitement has been building up in recent weeks as the Kiwi challenge firstly overcame the twelve other teams from around the world, culminating in a 5 races to nil series win over the Italian challenge, Prada to win the right to challenge for the Americas Cup. The Kiwis will be doing all they can to get the cup back of the Swiss team who took it off us in Auckland in 2003.

At the same time as the yachting is getting under way, the nation's favourite sporting team, the All Blacks, take on South Africa in Durban, in their Tri-Nations match. These two teams have one of the most famous rivalries in international rugby and they are always hard fought and tough encounters. We expect nothing different on Sunday morning.

Down south in Queenstown and Southland they're 'enjoying' the first big dump of snow for the winter. Here's a television news clip on the big snow.

It's been a wet week up in Auckland with more rain forecast for much of the weekend. Jack's Soccer has already been cancelled. The boys each have another birthday party to attend this weekend.

Finally, good luck to those running in the Western States 100 mile race this weekend. That's gotta take some guts.



 Subscribe in a reader

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on where you are at with running right now. I have dedicated myself to no races for this year - a break in my usual routine. It is a hard adjustment - but I am finding ways to still run and enjoy

Scott McMurtrey said...

enjoy the rest. :)

Tesso said...

September seems such a long way away, hope you don't go too stir crazy :-) But what a great idea to concentrate on cross training.

After my latest injury I decided to really work on my core strength. I can certainly feel the benefit of that in long runs and races, I seem to be able to maintain my form for way longer.


PS I suppose I have to say nice work in the rugby last night.

Ewen said...

Yes, if we can't be winning, might as well be our mates over the ditch ;) It'd be great to see the cup back in the southern hemisphere again.

The beginning program could work for you Bruce. Whatever you do, I can recommend lots of low HR exercise for developing a good base... your mate Lydiard knew a thing or two.

Phil said...

I agree with Ewen (of course). You need to put together a x-training program with an emphisis on improving your aerobic base. Moutain biking and swimming are good. The use of an eliptical trainer is also cool and not too tough on your shins.

Keep us posted on your progress. Just because your not running doesn't mean we aren't interested.

Good luck