Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Is Chi Running the Answer?

Thursday, 13 September 2007

Is Chi Running the Answer?

I was looking around on the web the other day and came across the Chi Running site. I had heard about this style of running before. Some long time readers (six months ago) of this blog may recall I was experimenting with the Pose Method for a period which bares some similarities to Chi Running. I suffered a calf strain in March however due to the added strain this method places the calfs under and I never really gave Pose a second chance.

Chi Running promotes a mid foot landing as a means of staying injury free, rather than the traditional heel strike that most runners naturally adopt. I like what I've read so far on the web site and I think this approach to running to have some real benefits for me.

I'll do all I can to learn this method and take the time needed to learn it properly rather than the approach I took with Pose which was just to read a few articles on the Pose site and try to teach myself from there.

I've ordered the ChiRunning book and this should arrive any day. I think that the lay off I'm in the middle of now combined with this new approach to running will hopefully pay dividends later on.

The last two weeks I've been more positive about my cross training.

One swim, one aqua run per week combined with weights and the Bikram Yoga I posted about last week. Yes I took another class last night and signed up for five more. That's my new goal for returning to the road. Five more weeks.

Hopefully by early /mid October , I will be ready to go.



Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

9 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott McMurtrey said...

hey, i just picked up that book this past weekend too! i've heard only a few things about it (all good) so i thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a look.

Marcy said...

I have the book. I think it's great . . .but there are A LOT of parts to it LOL. It's one of those things that will definitely take some time to get all the parts working together. But hey, we've got our whole running lives ahead of us, right?

Ewen said...

I haven't read up on Chi Running. I'll be interested to see how you go.

I find having your centre of gravity over your foot when landing (rather than behind) is very helpful. If a runner does this, they can have a 'light' or negligible heel landing, or a mid-foot landing and roll through to toe-off.

Unknown said...

I've always been a mid-foot striker, so I can only imagine how hard landing heal first with your leg extended is on your body. I've read that running barefoot (preferably in grass) will force you to land on your midfoot, otherwise, without the protection of the shoe you will bruse your heal very rapidly. Eather way, start out slow with low mileage and build very conservatively over time. If you do that and listen your body for when you need to rest, I'm sure you will be back amoung the running soon enough.

Good luck!

Mark said...

Good luck with Chi Running, Bruce!

Unknown said...

I hope the Chi Running works out for you.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had found your blog earlier...I am a kiwi who lives in Michigan and I am a certified ChiRunning/ChiWalking instructor...I taught a class in Auckland in Dec 07 and plan to teach more every time I come back home...check out my website: www.reallybethere.com. Cheers, ken

Anonymous said...

http://lumerkoz.edu Where it is possible to buy the, http://riderx.info/members/Buy-Percocet.aspx eishi http://www.sqlprof.com/members/Buy-Lamictal.aspx danforth http://www.comicspace.com/amoxil/ xiang http://rc8forum.com/members/Buy-Ezetimibe.aspx aiusa http://soundcloud.com/aricept luigi