Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: The Domain Loop

Sunday, 24 February 2008

The Domain Loop

This is a picturesque 1.72 mile loop which takes me through the Auckland Domain a superb 75 hectare park in the centre of Auckland City. The dominant feature of the Domain is undoubtedly the Auckland War Memorial Museum which sits on top off a hill overlooking Auckland Harbour.

This is usually a lunch time run. I'm so fortunate to have this great park a stones throw from my office it would be a crime not to make use of it.

About half of the run takes me through the centre of the Domain following Domain Drive, the rest of the loop is along neighboring streets. It's largely flat with only a small climb up Carlton Gore Road and into Grafton Road towards Auckland Hospital which also borders the park.

Each lap takes about 14- 15 minutes at an easy pace so its a case of just doing as many loops as your training calls for on the day. If I need to go a bit further but don't want to do another full loop, there's a running track on the field which I run round until I reach my desired distance.

I like the loop as its a good fall back option if I don't feel like venturing too far from work. Its nice to run on the grass and the surroundings aren't bad either.

Here's the map. You can easily pick out the Museum in the centre of the photo.








Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graet stuff :) just found your running blog and enjoyed reading it will be back for more.

Well done on the run.

Pip said...

Aaah, I lived just off Khyber Pass down the Newmarket end for three years when I was at university, so the Domain was my back yard. It was there I made my first (unsuccessful) attempts at running. I used to go for big long walks there every evening though. You're lucky to have it so nearby.

As for the ankle, well, it's feeling ok after a bit of achiness for a couple of days after the hour long run, but the sports doctor I spoke to on Friday wants me to rest it for another month. He says it's difficult to know whether I have a stress fracture without doing more (expensive) tests, so the best option is just to continue to do what was making it feel better! Thankfully my new cycling pack had its first ride on Sunday, so I have something else to distract me!

Ewen said...

Beautiful! Looks like Auckland's answer to Melbourne's Tan. You should extend your lunch hour.

I think I promised not to mention how the Brumbies went on Saturday night ;)

Unknown said...

Very cool looking loop. I might take a longer lunch as well. We could all use longer lunches to enjoy our surroundings.