Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Time for another break

Sunday, 2 March 2008

Time for another break

My body told last week me it was time for another break. After amassing a huge 37 miles for the month of February, I've again succumbed to heel and shin issues.

Here's a wrap of my runs over the last two weeks:

18/2 4 miles 35 mins
20/2 4.1 miles 37 mins
25/2 8.3 miles 47 mins
27/2 2.7 miles 19 mins (and broken)

I don't know what's worse at the moment, my heel or shin. The heel just seems to ache almost from the start of a run and gets progressively worse. It also extends into the arch of my foot. The shin is still the same, always nagging, always there, but last week it was just nagging a bit louder.

It's hard to stay motivated at times like this. When I'm not running I tend to let the other things slip that I should be working on to get myself right again. Hence I've done no stretching, strength or cross training for five days.

Its less than five weeks now until our big North American trip, so that's another reason why I'm perhaps not so into my training right now. It's unlikely that I'll have much time to maintain a regular run programme during our month away (I don't see "running" being on the agenda much when travelling in a foreign country with a 6 and 4 year old, though I'll try and find room for my running shoes just in case).

My question therefore is "Do I bust a gut now to get back out running in a few weeks only put things on hold again for a month in April? Should I just take an extended break from running now?

What ever I decide about when to start running again, I know I need to maintain my cross training (Swimming/yoga), strengthening of the leg muscles and stretching.

Someone who definitely deserves a break is Kieran after successfully completing Ironman New Zealand on Saturday. Check out his race report here.


Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

7 comments:

Pip said...

Er, buy a road bike, do like me and start cycling?

Seriously though - I can sympathise with the frustration. I've pretty much decided I have a stress fracture in this ankle after all.

Hmm, I'm tempted to say switch to cross training until you're back from your trip, but perhaps just rest a week and see how you get on.

Tesso said...

Gosh, you poor thing. Its so hard to know what to do. Can you pinpoint the cause of the problem?

The trouble with taking a break, I find, is its just so much more difficult to get back into it. But then again, you don't want to be running in pain and making things worse. Several weeks of total rest may well fix things.

Its funny I feel kind of guilty when I don't run for a while, but then I think back to when I wasn't a runner and I went for years without doing so. A few weeks is nothing.

But hey, make room in the bag for you shoes just in case!

Scott McMurtrey said...

i'd vote for taking the break from running for a bit. but that's just because i'm lonely on the sidelines right now.

Ewen said...

You're right, you probably won't run much, so perhaps go for the extended break, but keep up some cardio work if you can. A slight pity, as 'exploration' jogging is a good way to see some 'off the beaten track' places when OS.

If the heel/arch is involved, it sounds like Plantar Fascitis. Good luck. The next one won't be a walk in the park for the Brumbies. No matter how quick you say it, Kieran's 13 hours of exercise sounds like a long day!

Donald said...

Ugh. Persistent injuries are the pits. Good luck with the rehab.

Thanks for your comment on my sister post. It's nice to hear somebody who identifies.

So, can I discuss Lost items with you, or are you too far behind in the series? I don't want to be a spoiler.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro, Been meaning to write for ages... Give your shins and heels a break and try some surfing during your trip, I'm sure it's alot less taxing on your body (unless you encounter any sharks!) and highly addictive.
Trace