Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Am I Ready to Race?

Monday, 10 December 2007

Am I Ready to Race?

Another week has passed and here's this weeks numbers;

Monday - Run 25 minutes
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Run 30 minutes
Thursday - Swim 1000 m (30 minutes)
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Run 35 minutes
Sunday - Rest

Am I having too many rest days? I should really try and do at least one more day of cross training of either biking or weights. I have both an exercycle and some weights at home but neither have been getting much use of late. The difficulty is fitting in one of these workouts into the weekly schedule. They would involve an early start to get the workout done before work as evenings are pretty much taken up by getting home from work in time to spend usually not much more than an hour with the boys before they are in bed then relaxing with M and then maybe some computer time before I hit the sack.

While I can handle rising early if it that's what needs to be done to get a run in, I'm not so keen when it comes to other forms of training for some reason. I guess the other reason is that other than aiming to get back to a reasonable state of "running" fitness, I have no other goal at present to aim for and thus motivate me to make time for an extra weekly workout.

One thing I have been contemplating is the Rotorua Half Marathon on March 16 next year. This is about thirteen weeks away and if I'm going to give it a shot I really need to start a build up for this now. Am I ready?

I've been back running now for two months and (touch wood) the shin splints have not got any worse. I still have some minor soreness but nothing so bad that it hinders my running and so far I have been able to control it with icing.

So with two months successfully behind me, what I have got to lose by aiming for March 16 as my comeback race? I have dug around online and found a twelve week half marathon programme which I will use as a guide. The programme does call for back to back runs on two days a week, something which I have not normally done due to my shin problems.

Maybe with the race in mind I will have the motivation to substitute one of those runs for some cross training?

Have a good week.





Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

6 comments:

Tesso said...

I say go for it! Treat it as a comeback run rather than an all out race. Though it may be slower than normal it will probably be way more enjoyable!

Good thinking substituting cross training for some of the runs, you may well end up better off. Though don't tell me if you do, I hate cross training :-)

Unknown said...

It sounds like with the way things have been going you can handle the 12 week training program. I would say err on the side of caution. It's better to be undertrained than overtrained. Good Luck!

Donald said...

You don't have too many rest days, but I'd start stretching one of those weekly runs out in distance a bit if you want to ramp up to a half-marathon.

Ewen said...

I'd say you're ready to train for a race. The beginner's programme is a good idea. You could try 4 runs per week now - make the 4th one a definite easy recovery run (15-20 minutes slow) at first. I know I don't have your injury problem, but I get edgy if I have one rest day a week!

Yes, when we beat the All Blacks in the next World Cup final, at least you'll be able to claim to have the best coach ;)

Kieran Mischewski said...

Personally I'd be more comfortable doing a cross training session instead of back to back runs in order to minimise the chance of injury. Besides good cross trainings going to help your aerobic fitness.

Best of luck

Scott McMurtrey said...

looks like you're doing great. i wouldn't rush back into things too fast if you're still have even a bit of soreness. actually, that's a lie. i always rush back. i guess i have fun being foolish.