Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Never to busy to Run

Thursday, 20 December 2007

Never to busy to Run

December is always a busy month isn't it with Christmas shopping to get done, Christmas parties and work functions to attend. It hardly leaves any time for training (or blogging). I think I may have just transitioned to a true running fanatic though as this week I have twice got up at 5 in the morning in order to get my training in.

I never thought I would be one that could rise so early just to go running. I have always loved my sleep too much for one and I also just felt the body would never be as 'loose' and warmed up first thing in the morning as it is later in the day. Now I've been converted and I admit to being a bit of a fan of my early morning runs. It can be a great way of starting the day and the temperatures are way cooler than the when running under the mid day sun also.

This week I had a session with a sports massage therapist at the Millennium Institute of Sport. It's the same place where I've been seeing a Physiotherapist about my shins. She had suggested a massage to try and loosen up my calfs some more and also a general all over leg massage. It was great to get some thoughts from another health professional about my 'weaknesses'. She picked up a weakness in one of my quad muscles (same leg as the bad shin) which is possible having some flow on effect on the shin and lower leg. I therefore now need to work on strengthening this area with some leg extension exercises. After massaging my calfs she also did not feel that I was suffering from any Compartment Syndrome, which is great news.

Here a wrap of my training for the last week;

- Wednesday - Run 35 minutes
- Thursday - Bikram Yoga
- Friday - Rest
- Saturday - Run 45 minutes
- Sunday - Rest, well played golf actually, shot 88 which is a continuation of my recent good form.
- Monday - Rest
- Tuesday - Run 35 Minutes
- Wednesday - Rest
- Thursday - Run 40 Minutes


I'm still taking some walking breaks, at the moment walking a minute after every 12 of running.

Since I've been back running I've stayed away from hills so as to not aggravate the shin splints. This week I felt it was time to take on a hill again (Bush Road hill in Albany for those that know it) and I'm please to say that I charged up it with no trouble at all. It was very encouraging. I was a bit worried that having done no hill work at all I would be a little bit under done to take on this relatively short (300 meters) but sharp hill.

The last couple of runs I've been really happy with my running technique also , its just felt smooth and natural. I think given the injuries I've had and with the reading I've been doing you can some times end up with just too much going on in your head, when all you really need to do is just go out there, relax and just run. This is how I've approached the last few runs and they've felt great.

I'm not totally out of the woods with my shin. It does flare up and feels quite tender at times but as lots of you will know there are always niggles and I just have to learn put up with this. It's not disrupting my running yet , so with careful management of it lets hope it stays that way.

Have a happy and safe Christmas everyone.



Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done on your training lately. You continue to be smart about your come back. I wish you continued success over the holiday season.

Marcy said...

I hear you! This time of year is insane! Who has time for all this? LOL

Ewen said...

That's all looking good Bruce. It's good to hear you've been enjoying the early morning running. I gave that up long ago, although I agree it's a great time of the day. Only once a week for me these days, and 7.30 is early enough.

Have a great Christmas. Oh yes, sorry your boys weren't able to retain the Chappell Hadlee Trophy ;)

Tesso said...

Have a merry Christmas Bruce. Maybe Santa will bring you some new shins :-)

Hope your 2008 is great!!!