Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Self Massage could be the Answer

Monday, 16 June 2008

Self Massage could be the Answer

I've been trying out self massage on my calfs for the last week to try and loosen them up. I'm hoping it might just be the solution to my problems of calf tightness and shin splints.

I'm massaging them daily for about ten minutes each, quite firmly along the whole length of the calf and hard against my shin. I've already noticed some improvement in with my sore shin.

Last week I went for three run/walks of only about a mile each. This week I'll step the distance up slightly and also increase the time running vs walking. I've been here before though so I know not to be in a rush when it comes to increasing my distances too fast.

I know that I've got many years of running left in me once I fix this so rather than feeling like I'm missing out on valuable training time or being robbed of race opportunities, I'm taking the approach that time is my friend and whether it takes one, six or twelve months to get over the shin splints, there is going to be ample time when I am fit to train hard and race.

So if you haven't tried it before and you have a few niggling injuries you want to get rid of, give self massage try, or better yet if you have a willing better half you could always bug them! (my better half is usually too rapt up in Grey's Anatomy, Men in Trees, or Desperate Housewives to be interested in giving my legs the attention they need).

Have a good week.

Technorati Tags


Subscribe in a reader

7 comments:

Marcy said...

Dig the new look!

LOL my husband is like your wife. He's way too into sports on tv to help a homegirl out.

Scott McMurtrey said...

i like your approach. and love the new photo at the top!

Tesso said...

There's a good calf self massage you can do while sitting and using the opposite knee ... guess you couldn't really use the kneee of the same leg :)

Thanks for the reminder that I still have Sunday night's "Greys Anatomy" on tape to watch!

Ewen said...

Bruce, try telling her she could watch those with half a brain and one eye whilst massaging your legs at the same time.

Umm, now what weren't we mentioning about Robbie Deans? Although I must admit, the Irish had me worried.

Unknown said...

I think you have the right idea. Take it slow and stay healthy. Better to miss a few days to make sure you are 100% than to miss months by pushing yourself over the edge and getting hurt.

Campbell said...

Hi Bruce. I am a fellow Kiwi that is currently living in Vancouver and touch wood, having an injury free period, may it last. I have become a big fan of the trails and the body is responding well to not pounding the pavement all the time. I have also taken a more whole approach to my training and mixing it up with some yoga, gym work and heaps of work on the roller (self myofascial release) - you might find this article interesting http://www.kneeknacker.com/Articles/index.htm. It is the Knee Knacker I am training for, can't wait. Good luck. Campbell - www.justrunning.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I run quite a bit and find self-massage is extremely effective at loosening my tight calf muscles as well as my hamstrings, quads, and feet. It's sometimes more effective to use a massage tool which allows me to go deeper and get rid of some of my more resistant trigger points which are likely to be at the root of my muscle issues.