Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Still on the Road to Recovery

Monday, 9 June 2008

Still on the Road to Recovery

It's hard to believe that we have been back from our North American vacation for a over a month now. Time does pass quickly doesn't it , though the fond memories from our trip won't be easily forgotten.

This last month I have been slow to get back into any type of physical activity. I still sense that my shin and foot are not totally right so rather than rush back into any type of training I've taken my time to decide on what my next step will be towards getting me back running.

The time I've had away from running (over three months now) has re affirmed to me the enjoyment that I do get from running and I would so much like to be out there, but somehow I need to figure out a way to put these injuries behind me.

I was reading some stuff online last night about treating and preventing shin splints (or more correctly Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome) and it was encouraging to read that it is possible according to experts to fully recover from this cruel injury. Sometimes over the past few years I have doubted that and wondered whether I just don't have a body made for running?

There is so much stuff on line covering shin splints that sometimes you wonder whether the so called experts even know the true cause. Some seem to think that an exaggerated pronation of the foot is the chief cause others say it's an over use injury brought on by too rapid an increase in mileage etc.

Truth is there does seem to be a multitude of factors that can contribute to shin problems and I just need to find out which ones are relevant to me.

What I do know is this;

- I have always had very tight calf muscles and achilles.
- I have generally been inflexible from feet through to hamstrings / glutes etc
- I have and some muscle imbalances which needed strengthening.
- I have not had the best running form.

It seems to make sense that these factors are the main ones that will be causing my shin problems. I don't think I have overly flat feet which would encourage excessive pronation and the last podiatrist I visited did not think I pronated extraordinarily so while I may always need a stability shoe I don't think over pronation is a main cause.

So to enable me to get back on on the road (well grass firstly) I need to continue working on stretching and strengthening my feet, calves and legs. For the next few weeks that's what I'm concentrating on.

For the next month I'm going to try and run/walk one or two miles twice a week on grass just so the legs don't forget what running is all about and also just to try and not lose too much fitness. I haven't done any swimming for three months either nor biking so my fitness will have dropped bit.

Something I picked up in my reading last night about running technique was that over striding can be a factor also. This leads to an excessive heal strike and 'slapping' of the fore foot and over use of the tibialis muscle. So in my short run/work workouts I will be also concentrating on good form and short strides.

Another treatment I picked up on was regular self massage of the calf muscles to loosen them up. This is something I haven't really tried too much of before though I have heard of it working for others. It's got to be worth a try.

Happy running.




Technorati Tags

Subscribe in a reader

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear that the recovery process continues rather than the consistent running you would much rather be doing. It sounds like you are committed to running and that will get you back out there in due time. Good luck!

Ewen said...

That's interesting about the multiple causes. I'd say you're targeting the right areas Bruce... the calves and running form. Good luck.

I love that header background photo!

Thomas said...

I just read a piece by Matt Fitzgerald where he talks about tight muscles and tendons, and he thinks that injuries are generally caused by a bad gait. Maybe you should check it out, at http://mattfitzgerald.org/blog.

Run Amok said...

As a runner and massage therapist, I can vouch for the efficacy of stretching and massage for shin splints. Try to find a therapist who can do myofascial release - it feels like your legs are being fileted, but it really works. You also might try the foam rollers - I have written about them on my blog and I really find they work. Hang in there - shin splints are not a life sentence!

Unknown said...

I think that your plan is very well thought out. If you stick with it and don't try to push yourself too hard, you should be able to get back to pain-free running.

Aaron said...

Good luck with your plan.

Tesso said...

And I thought it was bad just having 2 1/2 weeks of no running. Sounds like you have a good plan there, its certainly worth eliminating the cause of the problem if you can.

Is that a new pic at the top of your blog??? Awesome!