Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: The Last Week

Sunday, 13 May 2007

The Last Week

If you caught my last post you will know that I have not been running this week and have about another ten days of rest ahead of me before I can hopefully get out and run again.

This last week my shins have seen plenty of ice and anti-flamme cream. I'm keeping up my stretches and strengthening every night which includes, hip flexors, short & long calf, calf raises, hamstrings, quads, one legged squats, gluts. I'm even thinking about taking a Yoga class to really work hard on my flexibility.

I made it down to the pool twice during the week for a total swim of 2300 in 62 minutes. Didn't get my bike out as intended but I did get on the exercyle yesterday for 40 minutes. First time that's been used in some months! It was a good working though even if I could only get the HR about to around 130. The calf (the one I sprained in March) was a bit sore throughout the workout and has been a bit achy today. Strange that it should still not by 100% as prior to ceasing the running I had been on a few tough runs and the 5K race in which it was no problem.

So this week will be two more swims and maybe some more biking (will see how the calf feels).


Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

6 comments:

Donald said...

Good luck with the recovery - it never happens fast enough.

To answer your question about swimming ... I'm always reluctant to post workout times, because I'm never sure how people will respond. Some will always be faster, and others will be slower. I'm not a good person to ask about improving swim speed, since I've been swimming almost all my life, but I haven't dropped significant chunks of time off for many years.

I guess part of it you work for, but a (maybe bigger) part you're just born with.

Journey to a Centum said...

Let things heal up and try not to go crazy in the meantime! You will be running again before you know it and your fitness level will return much faster than it took you to get there in the first place. Hang in thre!

Phil said...

You'll get through the calf issue. I pulled one of mine in February and couldn't run at all for 3 weeks. I kept up my endurance using an eliptical machine ... but it still took another 2 months before I was back in pre-injury shape.

Good luck.

Love2Run said...

Hope to see you back in action real soon. Have you looked back at your logs to see the cause of it? It pays to not repeat past training errors.

Unknown said...

Hopefully the recovery will be a success and you will be stronger than before. Good luck!

miss petite america said...

good luck with recovery. it always drives me crazy, but it looks like you've got a lot of other activities to keep you busy!

and a note on what your podiatrist told you. when i got new orthotics, i changed my shoes from the firm motion control ones to much lighter stability shoes. not that i know more than a podiatrist, but if his route doesn't work, that's what i did.