Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Missing Running and a meeting with Dean Karnazes

Thursday, 17 May 2007

Missing Running and a meeting with Dean Karnazes

I suppose I'm going through what every runner has at some point. That is experiencing the frustration of not being able to run through injury or illness. It's ten days now since my Podiatrist said to take a two week break to rest my Shin Splints and while I'm not the sort of person to let those frustrations show outwardly, it's just a feeling on the inside that a part of you wants to get out and run. I know though that if I'm to improve longer term this is something I have to work through.

I'm also a little concerned that two weeks might not be enough rest. We had practice last night for Jack's Soccer team. The practice went for about 45 minutes or so and afterwards my shin was almost as sore as it would have been after a run, and that was just after running a kids Soccer practice!

I went to the pool on Tuesday intending on a 1500 meter swim, but only managed about half that before I called it quits. The motivation just wasn't there on the day and I used the excuse of leaking goggles to call it a day. Is that weak or what!

I was back at the pool today and tried some Aqua Jogging as suggested by Ewen last week. I went in the deep water and used a vest unlike my last dabble with this activity which I found to be a bit of a waste of time. Today whilst I certainly felt in a bit more in the legs it still wasn't the cardio workout that I feel I need. I ended up doing about 15 minutes of Aqua Jogging before I reverted to the lanes and swam a good 700 meters. The swim felt good and no problems with leaking goggles today.

Tomorrow moring I'll get up early and jump on the exercyle for 40 minutes or so.

Mike raised a good point about not repeating mistakes of my past. I can't help wondering if I'm being a bit optimistic by wanting to build up to a half marathon in just eight weeks of training (that's if I can start up next week). May be I should flag the half and just go for a more gradual increase in mileage building the to Auckland Half Marathon in October.

This weekend ultra runner Dean Karnazes, the man who famously ran 50 marathons in 50 days, is in Auckland as part of his down-under tour. I thought I would pop along to hear him speak. I don't know too much about Dean, other than his 50 marathons in 50 days thing, so I would be interested to hear any stories or comments from other RBF members who may have had the chance to meet and/or run with him.




Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

4 comments:

Thomas said...

I can tell you that half of the runners love DK because he can run such long distances and the other half hates him because he isn't anywhere near the top of ultra runners as far as ability goes, but makes more money than all of them together.

His publicity machine is enormous. How else do you explain the fact that a lot of people know about his 50/50/50 endeavour, but hardly anyone knows that he wasn't even the first man to do so?

Love2Run said...

Good luck with the R&R. Another jem from Dr Sheehan "We're all experiments of one" and so we have to find out what works for us. May it be an interesting journey!

Ewen said...

I hope the shins settle down soon Bruce. Try short intervals with the deep water running and you should be able to get the HR up. 30sec fast (use fast arms), 30 slow etc.

R2B ran with Dean for a bit of his Summit to Sydney run and said he was a good bloke. He wrote about it on CoolRunning Australia.

Unknown said...

I have had a couple spells with an injury and being out for 4-5 weeks of no running. It is hard to take, but better to be safe and healthy than end up injured again real soon. I did aqua jogging and it takes about 2 weeks to get used to, but I would do it for an hour at a time 2-3 times a week and I felt like it was a big help.