Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Week 2 - A long run on 'Mother's Day'

Sunday, 6 May 2007

Week 2 - A long run on 'Mother's Day'

After being a little uncertain whether I would get out for this weekend's 'long' run due to my sore shin I eventually decided that it was up for the challenge and I headed out this afternoon. This was in spite of the small fact that in our household we were celebrating Mother's Day today. A quick look at most calenders (in NZ anyway) would tell you that Mothers Day is actually celebrated (is that the right term?) on May 13 however as I'm 'booked' in to play golf that day I thought it a great idea to bring the whole thing forward a week. Although there have been a few 'digs' about playing golf on Mother's Day, Michelle has been great and wasn't about to pass up any special treatment today.

We started the day with breakfast down at a local cafe on our way to pick the boys up from their grandparents house where they had stayed the night. It must have been a big night for the boys because the were both asleep in the back of the car before we got home again!!

Around midday after the boys had woken and had some lunch I sent Jack & Sam off to to fetch the Mother's Day card which they had written in plus the present, a sub tropical type pot plant in a smart black pot. They loved the chance to give mum a surprise and it all went down really well.

I took the opportunity a little later to head out for my planned 15 K (9 mile) run while the boys were amusing themselves nicely and Michelle was able to spend some time reading.

The run went quite well. Better than I was expecting really. The shin was a little niggly but nothing serious enough to cause me to stop. The numb foot issue was not quite so bad as in recent efforts either though I did stop twice and stretch my calf's at about miles three and six which seemed to help get me home.

I am still using some of the Pose Method techniques which I've read about and this tends to help with the numb foot as well. Though I haven't jumped right into this method (to do so you really need to buy the books/ DVDs / new flat sole shoes etc) I have tried to implement a bit of the theory as best I can namely the fore or mid foot strike, high heel lift, staying light on your feet etc). All in all my pace ended up being reasonable considering I was not really trying to push the pace at all. I just looked up my training log and I did the same run seven months ago about three to four minutes slower.

I'm still a little frustrated at ongoing niggling injuries (shin & foot) and am seeing a Podiatrist tomorrow to see if any light can be shed on these matters.

- Distance 14.3 km (8.9 miles)
- Time 1:14:43
- Ave pace 5:13 min k's (8:24 min miles)
- Max HR 166
- Ave HR 153

Mother's Day ended with me cooking dinner for the family which went down well, although Jack did mention that he likeed Mum's pies better than my dinner!

Weekly Wrap

- Swam 1,000 meters in 30 minutes
- Ran 31.3 kms (19.4 miles) in 2:45


Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Their seo services are top notch. We have been using them for about 5 years now but they just showed us their new viral marketing packages that are state of the art mass marketing techniques becuase it's not just about seo
anymore.
Website Promotion from Atomic Seo was definitly a wise investment so yeah I would recommend their services.