Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Some thoughts on Dean Karnazes and the weekly wrap

Sunday, 20 May 2007

Some thoughts on Dean Karnazes and the weekly wrap

I went to Dean Karnazes' book signing yesterday. It was a quick promotional stop off for Dean, who was in Auckland for only 36 hours before heading up to Japan for another race. Last week he was in Australia where he completed a 350 mile run from the summit of Australia's highest peak to Sydney.

Dean's popularity among the local running fraternity was evident judging by the numbers that turned out to pack the Millennium Institute of Sport's conference room, or maybe like me there were just many curious onlookers. It was standing room only though and in my case I had to be satisfied just listening to him as I couldn't even get within sight of the man.

Dean gave 30 minute talk and took questions for about 30 minutes also before launching into a book signing session for the adoring fans. I wasn't convinced enough to part with my $30. There's no doubt Dean has accomplished some amazing feats, however it's clear that he is also pretty adept at using the business and marketing skills he's learned to their fullest.

If I was hoping to be motivated or inspired to run ultra marathons, I would have come away disappointed. I found his talk to be a little too light hearted with little if any substance to it about what drives him to do these runs. It was almost like a bad comedy act with a few too many one liners and jokes for my liking. I figured that if he I wasn't too taken with the man's talk then I probably wouldn't get much out of his book either.

That's just me though and I'm sure DK gained many fans judging by the number of books going out the door.

Today's Ride.

- Distance 20 km (12.5 miles)
- Time 58 minutes
- Max HR 165 Ave HR 140

This was my first ride of this circuit for about two months. I pushed hard all the way and the time is only a minute or two outside my best for this circuit. It was a better than average run with the traffic lights today though which helps. Some wind, a damp road but a mild temperature.

What have I done this week?

- Swam 1300 meters
- Aqua running 15 minutes (I need to stick at this and give it another go, will try harder next time!)
- Stationary bike 40 minutes
- Road bike 12.5 miles / 58 minutes

This week

Was supposed to start running this week. Will check with the podiatrist tomorrow as my shin is still niggling me a little and I don't want to risk coming back too early if it's going to mean a longer lay off in the long run.

If no running then more of the same, swimming/biking / aqua running.

Am off to Wellington on Tuesday for a course. It will be a 7.30am flight out of Auckland for a 9.00am start. Return flight at 6.00pm home by 7.30-8.00. It's a long way to go for a one day course, but it's a day out of the office so sometimes that's all good.



Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed his book when I first read it a year ago or so when it came out and before it gained all the popularity. I know of many other runners with feats that are just as impressive, but I do not hold any of DK's marketing strategies againts him. I would go to hear him talk as well, but certainly would not part with $30 for a signature.

Olga said...

I am with Rob:)
Thanks for stopping by, and find your own reasons to run ultras. Nobody can motivate unless you do it on your own, although knowing a few folks here and there helps:) Woohoo!

Tesso said...

Thanks for the comments on my blog. Thought I'd drop in to yours :)

Hope the injury is starting to improve. Its funny how we think its like the end of the world when we are forced off the road for a few weeks.

But hey, stick with the cross training. The water running, boooooring as it may be, is great. I had to do it for a couple of months once when I had an achilles injury and PF and it kept me semi fit and semi sane. At one of my sessions I met a lady who was also water running, and she had trained for a marathon that way - it was the 75th Boston and there was no way she was going to miss it! She said her time was maybe only 10 mins slower than it would have otherwise been.


PS Agree with you all about DK!

Phil said...

If you want to get inspired, you need only need to read the likes of Olga (above). She ran the Zane Gray 50 Miler a couple of weeks ago an put in a truly inspirational performance. I've got nothing against Dean; however, I have a tough time relating to his talents. On the other hand, I can understand what drives a person like Olga. At the end of the day, it isn't those of exceptional talent that inspire us to push ourselves to achieve what we once thought was impossible; instead, it's watching and reading people like us, people with "normal" lives who push show us that there is no limit to the human spirit and give us the courage to try.

Ewen said...

Great words from Phil there Bruce, and also Tesso.

I hope the rest of your week goes well, and the shins don't give you any grief if you're permitted to try some easy running.

Rose said...

The worst thing about shin splints is not knowing how seriously to take them. You could probably give the area a good icing and go for an easy run though. Good luck getting back on the road!

Legs and Wings said...

I couldn't find DK's book anywhere in Canada. I eventually bought it on-line for $8. and thought it to be a bit 'light' but an enjoyable read nonetheless.

I think he is a marketing genius, a running machine and certainly novel.

Take it easy.

Kate said...

Hope you had a good day in my fair city :-)