Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: 2006 Auckland Half Marathon - The Build Up

Wednesday, 18 July 2007

2006 Auckland Half Marathon - The Build Up

*** FLASHBACK *** *** FLASHBACK *** *** FLASHBACK ***

If you're a bit confused by the title for this post, don't be. I'm taking the opportunity while on this enforced injury break to write a report on my first ever race, the 2006 Auckland Half Marathon held last October, before all memories of it are long forgotten.

To set the scene I will first go back even further to mid 2005 when the thought of running the half was first mentioned by some enthusiastic lunch time runners I work with. There was a group of four or five of us who took up the challenge and even though I was in no shape back then to even be contemplating a half as I was the youngest I thought I would look pretty soft if I didn't accept the challenge.

I trained for several months before succumbing to the dreaded shin splints thus I failed to make the start line in 05. I did end up carrying the drinks however and it was hugely motivating watching all the finishers and I was even more determined that I would make the start line in 06.

In 2006 I had more time to prepare and my base fitness was generally way better than a year earlier. After two or three months of training the shin pain was still hanging around and rather than just give in to it as I had the previous year, this time I sought out some advice and treatment. My pyhsio gave me a range of stretches to do to improve my flexibility which I still do to this day. I also saw a podiatrist and got some custom fitted orthotic insoles. I took a four week break to rest the shins during which time I kept up my fitness with swimming and biking. It's amazing how effective these activities are for maintaining ones fitness when you can't run.

Six weeks out from the half I was back running. It was a quick fire six week half marathon training programme which involved a four week build up phase followed by a two week taper. At the end of week four I successfully completed a 19k (11.8 mile) run in 1:33 and at that point I was confident that I would make this distance.

I was still just running three days a week and combining that with one swim a week as well as a bike ride some weeks too.

The shins were holding up nicely but around this time I started to experience the other issue that still frustrates me today, the numb foot after about 30 minutes of running. Back then it didn't seem to be every run so I was never quite sure when this thing would pop up.

However, I was now certain that I could make it to the half and I was ready for the big day.

Stay tuned for the Race Report.


Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

6 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

Are you saying your memory isn't like a bank's safe - throw any memorable event in and it's locked up and safe until you want it? :)

Can't wait to see the report. The suspense is already mounting! :)

Marcy said...

You tease!!! Let see that report!! hehe

Love2Run said...

yeah, where's my/your race report?? sounds like you did everything possible in preparation though.

Unknown said...

I know that for me, I have found that by training for triathlons and running no more than 3 or 4 times per week I don't get hurt the way I did and actually run better and faster, so I can definitely believe that it worked for you.

Can't wait for the race report.

Ewen said...

Good idea Bruce! I can barely remember my first half - it was so damn long ago - in the 80s. Halves were not so common back then. I'm looking forward to your report.

Oh yeah, may the best country win tomorrow (as long as it's us).

Legs and Wings said...

Hey Bruce, hope it went well for you buddy. And, belated HB to Sam...I have a Sam too. My Ben just turned 4.

Take care.