Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Injury & Rehab Update

Thursday, 26 July 2007

Injury & Rehab Update

I'm in week five of the eight week rest and reconditioning period I set myself as I try to overcome the shin splints that have been dogging me for most of my running 'career'.

The last four weeks have seen me biking, aqua running and swimming once a week, with two weight lifting workouts a week also. I'm also stretching and doing strengthening exercises on the muscles around the shin/ankle area.

Occasionally my shin still reminds me that its not 100%, so I know more rest is still needed. Somehow I've bruised my heal however and I think I did this while doing the shin strengthening exercises, one of which involves standing a foot out from a wall on your heals while flexing the fore foot up and down. I'll play it safe and keep clear of that one.

Last weekend while at soccer (which we won 3-0) I was given a prize for referee of the day which entitles me to a months free membership at our local Les Mills gym. What perfect timing I thought. Four more weeks of rehab and I get landed with a one month gym membership!

So I was right in there on Monday morning trying out the elliptical trainer and bike. Tuesday morning I did a Body Pump class and Tuesday night I did a Body Balance class.

Wednesday is my rest day but I'm out of the house and into work early so I can get off early to take Jack's Soccer practice.

All these early starts mean I don't see the boys in the morning and it is amazing how you miss them when you only see them for an hour or so in the evenings before they're in bed. Michelle said the boys really miss me in the mornings too.

So today I went for a swim at lunch time which means I can stay home a bit later and see the boys. It was worth it too as Sam came up and gave me a cuddle this morning and said he loved me. It's really nice to hear them say things like that.

I've only got three more weeks at the gym though and really mornings are the only time I can go (the gym is not near my work so I can't go at lunch time). Evenings are out as that just means I won't see the boys at night. I'll go for two morning workouts a week, plus the Tuesday night Body Balance after they're in bed. That leaves me one early morning weight session in my garage and a swim one lunch time and the weekend bike ride.

As you can see I'm definitely not resting up, I'm just not running!!



Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

6 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

That's great about the gym membership. Perfect timing. Sounds like your "rest" plan is going well. That's good to hear. You'll be back on the road (running) in no time.

Ewen said...

Fortuitous about the gym membership Bruce. The Body Balance would be good for running, helping awareness of your movement and body position.

How come there was no mention of the Netball Test series?
;)

Bruce said...

Okay, fair call Ewen, Congrats to the Aussie netballers who were too strong for us.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are keeping in good shape in spite of not being able to run. All of that cross training should really help you stay injury-free once you are back running. Just start back slowly and increase your mileage in small amounts.

Unknown said...

You're doing good. 5 out of 8 weeks down is good news.

Legs and Wings said...

I'm certain the rehab will do you nothing but good. It's good to mix it up for sure. I understand what you're saying with regards to missing the boys. Same goes for me too.