Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Progress is Progress (and my golf is improving also!)

Sunday, 11 November 2007

Progress is Progress (and my golf is improving also!)

Three more runs under my belt last week;

Monday - Run / Walk 28 Minutes (run 6 & walk 1 x4)

Tuesday - Swim 1200m (30-35 minutes)

Wednesday - Run /walk 29 Minutes

Thursday - Nothing

Friday - Run / walk 32 minutes (run 7 & walk 1 x 4)

Still no noticeable discomfort while running which is good. I had some tightness in my right calf but nothing too serious.

Saw the Physio on Wednesday and she is happy with the progress also. She wants me to continue with the gradual increases over the next two to three weeks and has given me the task of completing a 50 minute run by the end of the month. That is a little sooner than the schedule I had mapped out for myself, but with a wee bit of rejigging it I've worked out a new schedule will see me achieving that goal.

The odd thing is that the shins are still slightly tender when I'm not running which is a bit annoying. I'm starting to come to the realisation that perhaps I need to accept that this is just part of running and comes with the territory. I just need to manage them sensibly, ice them when needed and if they start troubling me while running then its time to back off the training.

I would be interested in what others think about this. Is some constant mild shin discomfort to be expected and something that we runners must put up with or should I be aiming to be totally pain free 100% of the time?

I've just had two days away at a work golf tournament in Matamata. Matamata is a small town in the central North Island, which is now famous due to the Lord of The Rings movie being shot in the surrounding countryside. Tourists still flock to the to see the movie sets where the hobbits lived. The golf course is a great little country course, and though it may be short it can still be a good test of golf.

This was my fourth Matamata tournament in three years and I'm please to say that on both days I registered a PB for the course, a 92 on Saturday followed by a 91 today for a net 73 and 72. This was some of the best golf I have played this year so I'm reasonably pleased with the result. Brought home a $60 Briscoes voucher for my efforts.


8th hole at Matamata


Par 3 11th hole

This weeks training will be another 32 minute run on Tuesday, increasing to 36 minutes on Thursday and 40 on Saturday. I will also fit a swim or a yoga session in somewhere.

Have a great week.


Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

8 comments:

Tesso said...

Not sure about pain free shins. But what I do know is I can't remember the last time I was totally pain free when running. There always seems to be some sort of niggle, and of course they are worse if you think about them.

Well done on the golfing front.

Marcy said...

Awesome job with the workouts! Lookin good!!!

I'm not sure about the shin thing. I'm actually questioning the same thing with my injury. It's always a mild annoyance.

Love2Run said...

1st I gotta wonder what kind of job you have with a 2 day golf tournament! It must be nice ;-) Glad to see your therapist is pushing you a bit to extend those runs. And there are always soreness and niggles. It's a sign the body is rebuilding stronger, right?

Ewen said...

I tend to agree with Tesso - there always seem to be niggles. Usually they move from place to place - knee, then hamstring, then hip, then glute...

My guess is your shin problem will gradually disappear - keep up with the regular icing, massage, calf stretching.

That has to be an NZ golf course - so green!

Legs and Wings said...

Hey Bruce, I'm happy to see that you're back out there. As far as niggles go, I guess I've got them too but they are not painful or persistent enough to bother me.

Calves are funny things. When I used to play basketball I used to suffer shin splints and sore calves all the time. No problems with running. All the best!

Unknown said...

Two very consistant rounds. Very well done! From the two pictures, it looks like the course is in nice condition. There are a lot of courses on the American east coast that look a lot like that one. They are usually a lot of fun to play and can be more challenging than they look.

Keep it on the short stuff!

Donald said...

Glad to hear about the gradual progress. The shin issues aren't something you should have to live with day in and day out. Sometimes you can "run through" them over a period of time while your body adapts - but if the pain is getting worse, or not improving over a couple of months, then I'd seek some professional aid.

Unknown said...

Continued progress is good news. Keep it rollin!