Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Still Running Six Weeks On!

Monday, 19 November 2007

Still Running Six Weeks On!

I'm into the sixth week of my return to running after a four month break to rest and rehabilitate my ongoing nemesis, shin splints. I'm quite pleased with my progress to date and must admit to being a little surprised to have not having suffered a recurrence yet.

I guess after putting up with them for so long and having given in to them on several occasions before I was probably conditioned to the prospect of the shin splints again getting the better of me.

I'm certain the fact that I am still out there running is thanks to the work I've been doing during my time off from running;

- I've maintained regular stretching and strengthening of the calfs and feet.
- took a weekly Bikram Yoga class
- studied what I believe to be a safer running technique in Chi Running (which whilst I haven't fully converted to, I've taken some key points on board).

I've also tried to maintain my fitness through swimming and water running so the eventual come back to running was not such a shock to my system.

I also sought professional advice and was boosted when the Physiotherapist and Podiatrist gave me the all clear to commence training again. After all they're suppose to be the experts right and if they say its okay to train then who am I to question them.

As I said in my last post, I still get some aching in the shin here and there but it doesn't seem to bother me when I'm running which is the most important thing. My only lingering doubt is that as I gradually look to increase my distances the lingering pain will worsen and gradually interrupt my running.

I'm doing everything I can to try and make sure that doesn't happen;

- I've adopted a slow build up utilising the run/walk method,
- Small increases in weekly distances
- Shoes have been given the okay
- Icing

I can only hope that Ewen's comment that the shin splints will gradually dissappear is correct, or maybe as Tesso suggests, I just need to stop thinking about them so much?

Here's the numbers for last week;

Monday - Swim 1000 m
Tuesday - Run /walk 28 minutes
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Run/walk 32 minutes
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Run/Walk 36 Minutes
Sunday - Rest / Golf (Shot 94 at Formosa and it was a rest as I took a golf cart)
Today - Run/walk 40 minutes.

Today's run was walking one minute running nine x 4.

The plan for the next ten days is to build up to a 50 minute run which the Physio wanted me to complete before our next meeting, next Wednesday.

Therefore the plan is something like this;

Wednesday 30 minutes
Saturday 36 minutes
Monday 42 Minutes
Wednesday 50 minutes

As you can see, I've not recorded any distances above as I'm not really interested in distance at present, its all about time. I would guess I'm running on average mid 5's to 6 minute Ks.

If I can get through the next ten days then it might be time for a cut back week as it would have been seven whole weeks of building up.

Wish me luck.



Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

6 comments:

Ewen said...

Good luck Bruce! Looks like the Silver Ferns could have used some too ;)

Or, do what Tesso does, and run so much you get more hurty niggles in other places!

Most of my running is in that speed range. The only problem I guess is that because there's no pain from being out of breath, you can think about niggly pains. Don't worry though, keep it easy.

Legs and Wings said...

I think a 'slow' comeback is key...I like how you are utilizing the walk-run methond to rehab. Good work and good luck.

Oh, you've been tagged buddy. Just so you know. Check my blog for details.

Kieran Mischewski said...

Sounds promising, fingers crossed it stays good aye!

Tesso said...

Looks like the comeback plan is working. That crosstraining must be making you feel so fit.

Good luck, though I think you have nailed it by the sounds.

PS Ha ha, wait until I see that Ewen, he's in for a triple belly punch.

Scott McMurtrey said...

i'm glad your recovery is progressing nicely. keep it going. :)

Laura said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are still running after 6 weeks w/ no more shin splint pain!! I was also interested to read about your methods for rehab. When you did water running, did you buy a water belt? Also, what is "chi running" or what book might you recommend?
Have a wonderful holiday!!
Laura