Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: The Ultimate Goal

Wednesday, 22 August 2007

The Ultimate Goal

This last two months off running has not been without its frustrations. I would give anything to be able to be out there running again injury free. I just have to remain positive and look forward to the day when I will be able to do just that.

I still don't feel that I'm ready to start back running. I'm still carrying a bruised heel which I think I picked up when I was trying out some exercises to strengthen the ankle/shin muscles.

I may have been guilty of slacking off slightly from the routine which I set for myself at the start of this rest period. Going away last week put a dent in the routine also and pretty much wrote off that week. The weights workouts have tended to be one a week rather than two, I've opted for stationary bike ride in the weekends rather than getting out on my mountain bike and I've missed a couple of pool sessions. I have enjoyed the Body Balance classes I've attended at the gym and this has given me incentive to look for a yoga room to attend once a week now that my one month gym membership is up.

What I have been able to do over the last few months is continue to catch up on your blogs which helps to keep me inspired and gives me hope that one day I will be able to achieve what some of you do (well if I can even achieve half of what the likes of Eric and Rob are doing then I'll be happy).

The terrain that these guys run in is amazing and has really got me interested in the idea of running trails. We've got some equally amazing backcountry trails in New Zealand and the idea of running some of these really appeals. Even in the Auckland region we're blessed with Waitakere Ranges, less than 45 minutes from my home which has trails galore.

Undoubtedly some of the best scenery and back country trails are in the South Island and that is where most of the classic adventure races and trail races are held. As far as trail running is concerned two races that are right up there are the Routeburn Classic and the Kepler Challenge.

The Routeburn Classic is a 38 K mountain/trail run along the popular Routeburn Track, which has traditionally been one of the country's most popular 2-3 day hikes located in the Aspiring and Fiordland National Parks.

Perhaps even more testing is the Kepler Challenge a 60 K mountain run which funnily enough, follows the Kepler Track, near Te Anau, Fiordland.

These two runs would represent the ultimate goal. Let me say right here that I would love to one day run these races.

I know that I've got a long way to go before I could even rightfully take my place at the start line for one of these events, but its big goals like these that will hopefully keep me motivated and on track to getting injury free and running again.

Happy running.



Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

10 comments:

Love2Run said...

I've heard about the wonderful trails in your country from my son and friends who have visited. What about doing them as hikes 1st with the family? The running will come later... Good luck!

Donald said...

Good luck with those goals of yours. Don't rush them, though - get yourself healed first.

Tesso said...

Wow, great goals! I know a couple of people who have done the Keppler Challenge and loved it.

Good luck with the return to running.

Unknown said...

Given a choice, I will always opt to run trails over the road or track. It's far more interesting, a better workout and easier on the body. I know that there are a lot of runners who have had injury problems and seen them go away by shifting over to trail running. Sounds like it might be something for you to try.

Good luck!

Ewen said...

I have to admit to two loves - trail running and track racing. I run with a bloke who's done Kepler. That sounds very tough! Australia's greatest trail run - the six foot track, seems enough for me.

I hope you're back running before long.

Scott McMurtrey said...

i would agree that there is something in the trails that inspires more than roads.

and get yourself better. the trails and roads miss you. ;)

Kate said...

I'd love to do a trail run, and there are so many! I've been doing long runs with fairly unplanned routes and I'm definitely thinking I'll put some offroad stuff on the agenda for next year!

Thomas said...

Oh yes, the trails of New Zealand are famous, and the Waitakere trails are more famous than most. A 60k mountain run sounds like a great idea. Go ahead and do it (after being properly prepared, of course) - I bet you'll love it!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://sopriventontes.net/][img]http://sopriventontes.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]kaspersky 8.0.0.357 serial, [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]software at discount[/url]
[url=http://sopriventontes.net/]microsoft software packages[/url] how to play dos games under windows xp decade software canada
kaspersky black2white [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]microsoft office software[/url] academic testing software
[url=http://sopriventontes.net/]largest selling software[/url] 11 Mac StuffIt Deluxe
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]cheap microsoft office for students[/url] photo editing software to buy
windows vista versions [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]buy discount software[/url][/b]

Anonymous said...

dating flash game online [url=http://loveepicentre.com/]singles retreat baptist toccoa[/url] asian singles los angeles http://loveepicentre.com/ dating novena