Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Training this week

Tuesday, 7 August 2007

Training this week

Here's what i have done this week;

Thursday - Bodypump
Friday - Swim 1100 meters
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Stationary bike 50 minutes
Monday - Elliptical trainer 40 minutes
Tuesday - Swim 500 meters (goggles must be getting old and could not fit them so they wouldn't leak).
Tuesday PM - Bodybalance

Two more weeks of 'rest' before i contemplate running again. When/if I do it will be short and slow to start with probably with some walking breaks also just to ease back into it.

As i said last post my shin still doesn't 'feel' 100% right so i might even end up extending this rest period until I'm totally satisfied that it's okay. No point coming back too soon is there!

The knee pain i mentioned last post has gone. I'm thinking i must if hurt the knee when doing one of the exercises aimed at strengthening my shin/ankle muscles which involved rapid jumping. I stopped that last week and within a few days the knee came right.

Later.




Technorati Tags

7 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

You're right. No sense in coming back full blast when the shin isn't ready. But I think the slow and short approach will give you a better idea when the time comes.

So are you feeling stronger with these couple months of 'rest'? Looks like you're getting in some serious training and your body is going to thank you for it when you start running again.

Unknown said...

You're doing really well with the crosstraining/strengthening. Keep it up! I think you are very wise to not come back until you are 100% ready. The extra week or two could help save you months of starting all over.

Ewen said...

Yes, probably best to wait until there's no pain. I like the test were you can't remember which shin/knee/hamstring etc was sore (if it's only one). Are you still icing it? Anti-inflam gel?

Good work with the cross-training.

Thomas said...

I admire your ability to keep sane with all the enforced rest.

Marcy said...

ITA with Chad!! Better to be safe than sorry!

Journey to a Centum said...

I've only been to New Zealand once but it seems like there was an abundance of hiking trails that you could run. I was a non-runner when I visited but I did hike a beautiful trail near Lake Taupo. I believe it was near Turangi. It may have been in the Tongariro National Park.

I understand that Northland Forest Park near Kaikohe is also very nice. Perhaps running some trails would help as you return from your injury.

Anonymous said...

Listen to your body. Be patient with returning to running.

I'm recovering from plantar fasciitis and just starting to run again. I ignored the pain, and ran anyway. I have had to take 12 weeks off running to recover.