Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Run, Walk, Run

Sunday, 14 October 2007

Run, Walk, Run

Last week I has my appointment with the Podiatrist. My shin seemed to be taking soooo long to come right I just wanted to get a 3rd (Podiatrists) opinion.

Apparently I have a pretty neutral foot position when standing and a mild to healthy amount of pronation (some pronation is good apparently!).

I took along the Chi Running book I'm reading as I wanted to get his thoughts on that subject too. He had heard about it, and Pose Method also, an in fact referred me to an interesting Sports Science Blog which debates the whole topic very thoroughly.

While he understands that these methods work for some people, he wants to see me retain a heel striking / toe off gait, which off course is the total opposite of what Chi Running is about. How's that for successfully managing to put myself in a conflicting situation then!

He picked up that I'm tight in the calf and Achilles region though was happy with my hamstrings. Orthotics could be an option still on the table but before trying those again he has given me some heel pads which slip in under the inner of my running shoe. These just raise my heel about 6-8 mm and take some of the pressure off caused by the tight Achilles. The good thing is though he thinks my shoes are okay.

He's given me the okay to start some gentle running to see how these things go. Therefore yesterday a went out for a 15 minute run/walk in which I ran for a minute then walked for a minute etc. Its the programme suggested by Mark in this article. It's real back to basics stuff, but I guess anything is something and I don't want to repeat past mistakes of too much too soon.

If it goes well it won't be too many more weeks before I'm running a respectable distance. I must admit to having some apprehension about how long I will last though. The shin pain is still hanging around and I can't really see how starting to run while this still hangs around will be of any good. Shouldn't I be holding off till I don't feel any pain? The Podiatrist didn't seem to think so and is keen to start a slow build up. I have had three months off after all, how much longer do you stay on the sidelines?

So the run felt okay. The danger of reading too much though is that you have too many thoughts floating around in your head on all different matter of techniques and focuses. Hence the run was one of constantly reminding myself of the different focuses I've been reading about but at the same time try for the heel toe gait the Podiatrist is looking for.

I'll have three more run/walks this week then report back to the Podiatrist with my progress. Another Physio appointment booked for next week to go over any other stretching / exercises I could be doing.

Have a good week.



Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

6 comments:

Marcy said...

I hear ya on the too many thoughts in your head on technique. After reading CR I was like "Ok I need to do this, this, and this" It's easier for me to focus on one thing at a time and then once I get the hang of it I move to the next.

Unknown said...

A minute of running/walking is better than not running at all. I am hopeful that your smart approach to your return will pay big benifits in terms of longevity and a full recovery.

Tesso said...

Great to hear you are back running even if its just a little. Been there, done that ... before you know it all will be back to normal hopefully.

Funny how immediately after an injury you focus so much on the pain when running. Guess its not a bad thing if you aren't fully recovered. But I find the less I think about pain the less I have.

Anyway, fingers crossed all is good!

Ewen said...

I hope it goes well Bruce. You might run the injury out with gentle running.

My tip would be to keep the heel landing 'light' and roll through to toe-off (don't land ahead of your C of G).

A pity the Pumas didn't make the final - would have been a good match-up against the Poms.

miss petite america said...

wow,that IS a lot of information. but i agree with marcy, try out one new piece of info at a time.

you've dealt with your injury quite well, and that says a lot. hope your solution is rught around the corner :)

Love2Run said...

Hey, you're back on the roads at least. Take it easy easing back into it!