Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: All Physio's must be Optimists!

Tuesday, 2 October 2007

All Physio's must be Optimists!

I went to the physio yesterday to get some professional advice on the shin problem. I chose the Health Zone at the Millennium Institute of Sports as I'm hoping that with all the facilities and health professional at the one facility they will be able to help get me back running.

She was pretty quick to identify that my Achilles/calf region is very tight, something I'm well aware of. I have been doing regular stretching of this region for ever it seems for not much improvement.

When I try squatting on one leg my heal lifts of the ground before I even move a quarter on the way down. She seems pretty sure that that is a likely cause of my problems.

She also suspected a weakness in my glutes. The physio I saw last year also said this but I had expected these would be stronger from the exercises regime they put me on last year.

This new physio also seems to be an advocate for orthotics to solve my problems, even though I told that I was not convinced that these were the answer following my previous experience with them. When I told her the name of my previous Podiatrist she commented that they had heard some mixed feedback about him.

She is recommending that I see the Institute's Podiatrist and get fitted for some Orthotics. She reassuringly advises that every one she has referred come away happy with the result.

She didn't like my shoes either and said she would like to see me in some Asics or Brooks shoes.

A sceptic might say that they are just after my money, and that they were always going to refer me to the Podiatrist and recommend new shoes, but she does seem confident that they can assist me and agreed that I shouldn't have to put up with shin pain. At this stage I'm willing to give them a go and see where it ends up.

My cross training continues to be a bit sporadic. I never made up the weights session and these seem to be harder to fit in. At the moment I am maintaining two swims a week and the yoga so that might have to be enough for now.

We're on day light savings time here now so that must mean summer is around the corner. Can't wait for that and hopefully I will be able to enjoy the warmer weather by treating myself to some nice long runs.

I'm half way through the Chi Running book now and can't wait to get the all clear from the Physio to go out and try this technique.

Have a good week and all the best to those racing this week , including Thomas.




Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

4 comments:

Pip said...

My calves have always been really tight as well, so I'm interested to hear what the physio recommends. Millenium are supposed to be the gurus, so I guess you should give the orthotics a shot, but like you I've always been skeptical about them and my podiatrist doesn't like them either.

Still sick, still banned from doing any exercise. My next plan is to do some research into heart rate training!

Unknown said...

All of those things seem to make sense to me and hopefully will get you back to running. I'm not sure which brand of shoe you are running in now, but trying different brands when you are having a continuous problem is a good idea. I moved from Nike to NB before ending up in Adidias, which have worked great for me for 5 years now.

Just don't stop trying. There is an answer to you getting back to running out there somewhere. It took me a long time to find all of my solutions, but it can be done and you will be so happy once you do solve it and you are running pain-free.

Ewen said...

It could be the shoes - maybe try a different pair first (cheaper than orthotics) - I'm an Asics, Brooks and Nike Free wearer. No problems at all with my Asics 1120s.

With the orthotics, hard (plastic) verses soft molded is a big decision. One of our runners uses soft molded and loves them - she can't run in the plastic ones which she had at first.

Scott McMurtrey said...

I'm with you in that it is not going to hurt (hopefully) to take her advice and try something new.

When are you going to post a photo from your yoga class? :)