Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run

Sunday, 28 October 2007

Training last week;

Tuesday - Swim 1200 m

Wednesday - Walk/ Run 17 minutes

Thursday - Bikram Yoga, thats the last one of these classes for a while. I will have a look around for something to replace this workout. I definitely got some benefit from these Bikram Yoga classes being some added strength and flexibility but the extreme heat that you must also deal with in the 90 minute class makes for an exhausting workout. After seven classes it's now time to try some other form of yoga based training. May be aPilates class?

Friday - Blank.

Saturday - Walk/ run 20 minutes. Walking one minute out of every five. With every two runs I'm adding a minute to the run portion each run, thus the next run will be four sets of walking one minute and running five.

The runs are pretty slow and I'm just trying to focus on a couple of form and technique key thoughts. Main ones being maintaining a correct landing position for my feet (so the point straight forward). A have tended to be a bit pigeon toed in the past which has been a contributor to my injuries.

Some Chi Running focuses I'm also thinking about being light on my feet, trying to keep my lower legs relaxed and lifting the foot rather than toeing off too prominently.

I'm still experiencing some general shin soreness but not while running. The physio seems happy with the progress and was not too concerned about the ongoing shin pain. As long as I maintain the slow build up and stretching and so long as the shin doesn't start to interfere with my running then I should be okay.

Physio also suggested some gel heel cups to put in my shoe to add some more cushioning to help with the heel bruised heel. This seems to be working also.

Finally all the best to fellow Kiwi blogger Kate who ran the Auckland Marathon this morning.

Have a good week.




Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

8 comments:

Pip said...

Sounds like things are improving. If you want to stick with yoga you should give Ashtanga a try. There should be a studio near you somewhere.

I was thinking about Kate this morning as I churned out my 80 minutes of hills.The weather report sounded promising.

Love2Run said...

More and more running sounds like a good thing. Makes me think of a Kimbia post a week ago. Is it good or is it bad? Keep it going!

Ewen said...

That all sounds good Bruce. The gradual increase of run/walk is spot on.

You'll find Pilates totally different to Bikram yoga. It needs patience and can be quite taxing on the concentration.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you are running again. A slow build up is good. I hope this keeps you healthy and on the right track.

Kieran Mischewski said...

I know how frustrating it is getting injured. I've just gotten over an ITB problem, and hopefully I'm well on top of it now. But it sounds like you have things in hand and are on the way back into it, so hopefully it keeps improving.

I'll have to keep an eye open or you aound Albany - it's not that big a place so I'm sure I won't get to embarassed if I randomly ask people I see out running if they're "Bruce"

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are making really good progress. Keep it up!

Scott McMurtrey said...

so, thinking about those trail runs yet? :)

glad to hear of progress. keep it up.

Phil said...

Nice improvement and congrats on the yoga. I keep saying "someday", but someday never happens. Good to see you do something about your flexiblity. I should follow your lead (someday)