Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Holiday Pictures from Nelson

Saturday, 19 January 2008

Holiday Pictures from Nelson

The Mapua Aquarium is an excellent little aquarium which the boys found pretty fascinating. The cool thing about this aquarium is that the let you touch the sea life.



In the jaws of a great white!.



Sammy touching a starfish.

Caving at the Ngarua Caves, on the summit of the Takaka hill. The operators of this cave give guided tours on the hour and a full of knowledge about the cave having been therefore 24 years or so. It's about a 30 minute walk through with several stops along the way to hear about the history of the cave.

The weird thing is that later that day we heard that three tourists got caught "out of their depth" and had to be rescued from the huge Harwoods Hole cave nearby. Here's a link to that story.



Back above ground after our caving experience.



Amazing stalactite formations tens of thousands of years old.

Over in Takaka went went Salmon fishing at the Anatoki Salmon fish farm. Rods are provided and all you have to do is head over to the lake, through your line in a wait one of the many Salmon to hook up. It was a sure thing really and the kids loved. The Salmon steaks were beautiful that night.





Our prized catch. Actually Michelle caught it, though she had an unfair advantage as she was feeding them extra food.

After the fishing it was off to the beautiful Tata Beach, in Golden Bay.




After my 50 minute effort last Sunday, I've had two more runs during the week. A 40 minute run (7.5 KM) on Tuesday and 54 minutes (9.3 KM) on Thursday. I'm concerned that I may have overdone it this week however and cancelled todays planned run due to the shin not feeling good. My left foot is also still sore following Thursdays run during which I had to put up with an aching foot/heel for most of the run.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do now really. I'm a bit over it at the moment to be honest. Will keep ya posted.



Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

4 comments:

Marcy said...

Wow! What awesome pics! I am so jealous of the beach. It's GORGEOUS!!

Ewen said...

Good holiday snaps. I'm impressed you fed the family on one fish ;)

It might be a gorgeous beach, but where's the surf?!

Good luck with getting the leg/foot pains sorted.

Unknown said...

Great pictures! I love going through caves like that. I bet the boys enjoyed it as well.

Sling Runner said...

Great holiday photos. I been to NZ twice and it is certainly one of my favourite places on earth. I live in Singapore and the place is such an urban/concrete jungle. Wish I can live there and run on scenic trails.

cheers
Sling Runner
http://slingrunner.blogspot.com/