Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Resting Up

Sunday, 27 January 2008

Resting Up

It has been ten days now since my last run, a 5.8 mile loop that takes me around the Orakei Basin in Auckland. I'll write some more about the route in another post but lets say it is a very scenic run that includes a section along the Tamaki Drive waterfront, which on a fine summers day is a great place to be, even if the running is not going as good as one may like.

Throughout the run I was dogged by an aching left foot and my shin was a little sore as well. The foot problem is one that I had thought I had overcome as whilst in some recent runs it would be a bit tight to start with, I had been able to run through it recently if I just concentrated on maintaining a relaxed easy running style. Perhaps I was a bit tense and was not able to relax as much as I would have liked. I knew this run was going to be pushing it for me as in the week prior I had already completed two 40 minute runs and 50 minute run and to try for another 50+ run was possibly asking for a bit much from my still recovering body (and lower legs in particular).

As it turned out I wasn't able to run through the aching foot and it stayed with me for the duration of the run, something which I'm still paying for today in the form of a constant ache in my foot.

I think also I was getting tired of the constant daily routine with would always involve some stretching or strength training of some sort. I have been maintaining the strength work for almost four months now since I started back running in October and whilst I guess it has been partly successful, in that I have lasted this long, I'm somewhat disappointed that I'm still not 100% fit.

So this last ten days, I haven't stretched once nor have I done any other sort of training, other that a short 800m swim last week. It's been a good chance to get away from having to think about any of that stuff. The shin is feeling better for the rest and I don't think I'll need anything like the four month break I had off over winter. I think anther week off running and I'll be back into it. I'll start up some strength work again this week so the legs don't get a total shock next week.

Thoughts of the Half in Rotorua in March have gone from my mind. I was probably being premature considering such an event when I'm really still on the comeback trail. I've re-evaluated my short term goals and am now just focusing on the Run Auckland series of 5 and 10 K runs over the autumn / winter. Even these will just really be fun runs as I'm probably not yet is a position to try any speed work and press for a fast time.

I haven't been sitting around idle over the last week though. We decided it was time the boy's bedrooms needed a fresh look with some new paint. They each picked a colour which we have used as a feature wall with Jack choosing a race car red and Sam a turquoise/aqua colour. We found a nice colour with a hint of green but also some light brown/ grey tones to complete both rooms. Having just finished Jack's room today (actually they share it now since we set up their buck a month or so ago), the rooms are both looking quite stunning and while the colours the boys chose are are a bit "out there" they look great now and really add a youthful feel to that end of the house. Sam's old room is really now a toy room or a spare room for when we have guests.

Have a good week.



Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

1 comments:

Ewen said...

Best of luck with the foot, shins and other niggles this week.

Some time off from the strength work/stretching seems like a good idea. You make me feel guilty Bruce - I don't do nearly enough of that.

The 5/10k series should be fun - 9am starts too :)