Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: On the Run in Nelson

Sunday, 13 January 2008

On the Run in Nelson

Hi there, I'm back from my week in sunny Nelson, well actually it's not as sunny as they claim, it was only the 4th of 5th sunniest city in NZ last year apparently.

We had a pretty good week, only two days of wet weather early in the week, during which I took the boys to Alvin & the Chipmunks which they thoroughly enjoyed, okay I laughed too. The next wet day we visited the local aquatic complex/wave pool a fair part of the day. Sam's (4) confidence in the water is really improving leaps and bounds from last summer.

I might cover in more detail some of our other activities later but they include such things as salmon fishing, caving and of course lazing on the beach.

I'll just quickly update you on some runs I've done this week and then set about catching up on some of your blogs;

- Tuesday Ran 5 k 30 minutes.

This was an early morning run along a misty and grey Tahunanui Beach. Beach running is not something I've really done any of so they sensation was a little strange. The sand was quite soft, even the wet sand near the water.

- Friday Ran 7-8 k 43 Minutes

For this run I arranged to be dropped at the start of the Abel Tasman Track in the Abel Tasman National Park. It is one of the premier walking/hiking tracks in the country which runs alongside the stunning Tasman Bay coastline for 50k or so. The idea was to get a water taxi up the coast to the first drop of some 12 km from the start and then run back. Unfortunately I just missed the taxi and had to settle for plan B which was to run in and back out again. In the end I ran in for 20 or so minutes and ran out again. It was certainly worth the effort.


- Sunday Ran 8.5 k 52 minutes

Ran from my house to one of the local beaches where I met Michelle and the boys. It was a great cooling off in the water (quite a bit warmer than Nelson too I'll add) after such a hot run. Temp must have been around 25 deg C today.


I'll be going into some more detail about these and other runs at a later date in a new series of posts which I'm calling "The Places I Run" where I'll try and describe the local terrain together with some pics of our lovely country.


The shins are hanging in there and don't seem to be too much of an issue at present. Here's hoping they stay that way.


Have a great week.


Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

3 comments:

Mike said...

I would love to run that Abel Tasman track ... as well as kayak the route as well ... looks gorgeous in pictures.

So how about a triatlhon in Rotorua in December???? Come join us :)

Ewen said...

Sounds like a great holiday Bruce. The Abel Tasman Track would have been a magic run - a pity about missing the taxi.

Looks like you've reached a happy equilibrium with the shins. 25C sounds lovely... 33 over here this afternoon!

Legs and Wings said...

wow, Abel Tasman looks amazing! Good to hear from you - thanks for the nice comment.