Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: What will 2008 Bring?

Thursday, 3 January 2008

What will 2008 Bring?

Happy new year to everyone, hope you've managed to get a good break in.

This time of the year always seems to be the time people like set their goals for the year ahead doesn't it. I've never really been one for new years resolutions as such, though I do believe in having an idea of what goals you want to achieve and I guess now is as good a time as any set re assess where I'm going and what I would like to get out of 2008.

I'm not going to sit here and write that this year will be the year I'm going to run a marathon and that I'm going to do this and that. Off course I would love to run a marathon as well as a number of smaller races.

The one major running goal I have for 2008 is to just get and stay injury free. If I can do that then the races will follow, of that I'm sure.

That may sound to some like it's far too non specific and that I'm afraid of commitment or that I'm not backing myself enough to just say I'm going to run a marathon no matter what. That could partly be the case but the way I see it until I can get to a level where I'm able to maintain a regular training programme without breaking down every three or four months then I see no sense in setting race orientated goals.

I know from looking back at my numbers from 2007, there is a lot of room for improvement and that will also be a goal for this year, to add to those numbers. Again if I can stay injury free then I should have no trouble surpassing 2007.

A marathon remains long term goal and one that I will strive for but whether it will be this year, or next or in five years, I can't say.

This week I have had just the one run , on Monday a 3.3 mile , 30 minute jog around the Auckland Domain. As I said in the last post, the shin has started to cause me some more discomfort and I was tempted to pull out after the first of my planned two laps. As most of you will know, we runners never like to pull the pin half way through a run so I soldiered on and completed the planned 30 minutes.

I was due another run yesterday but choose the sensible option of another days rest. I was a bit down yesterday as a result, but I'm pleased to say that the rest seems to have done the trick and it is feeling better. With a family holiday planned for next week to Nelson I was thinking about taking the week off running to give the shin an extended break.

I'm sure you will agree that it's no easy decision, knowing when to take a break or to push ahead with the training, especially as next week was supposed to be week three of my Rotorua Half Marathon training schedule. I might try and fit a run in tomorrow and see how it holds up. I will be taking my runners anyway so wish me luck.

Later.



Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

5 comments:

Fibo said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

Tesso said...

An injury free year sounds like a damn good goal!

BTW I saw a cute little NZ flick the other day - Eagle vs Shark. I really enjoyed it. I'd rate it ahead of most of those predictable mushy Hollywood romantic comedies they keep on churning out.

Pip said...

Your New Years goals are the same as mine - stay injury free and think about a marathon if the first goal is accomplished! Let's hope we both make it ...

Ewen said...

Good luck for a run or two in Nelson, as well as an injury-free 2008.

Being able to train 'normally' is a good goal, even if it's non-specific. You'll know if you've achieved it!

Perhaps some short-race time goals (5k?) could give you some focus once the training is going well.

Scott McMurtrey said...

best wishes for a fulfilling and injury-free 2008!