Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Weekly wrap

Monday, 30 April 2007

Weekly wrap

Three runs last week for a total of 25 km (16 miles). One swim session of 1000 in 32 minutes.

For the month of April I ran a total of 85 km (52 miles). That's my biggest month so far this year.

The aim for the next few months is to continue building up the mileage peaking for the Run Auckland Half marathon in mid July.

After that the next big event on the local calender is the Auckland Marathon(& Half) on 28 October. I always just thought I would do the Half again this year but just now I was just thinking "why not the full? it's still six months away after all". Plenty of time to prepare for my first full marathon right.

I guess I'm not ready to commit to the marathon just yet as I still don't have total confidence in my body to hold up to the stresses of training for a marathon. I still get regular shin pain in one leg particularly. I have been able to manage it so far with regular icing and by limiting myself to three runs a week. I wonder though how the shin would stand up to the increase in mileage?

A bigger concern for me at the moment is the problem with the numb foot which often strikes at the around the six km stage of a run. It is worrying and I need to get on top of that before I set my sights on a marathon (or the half in July come to think of it).

So at this stage I'll take it one month at a time and build to the July half and we'll reassess the future at that point.

Watching the weight

Ended the month at 85 kg. No loss during the month.

Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

8 comments:

Legs and Wings said...

Bruce, the numb foot issue has me thinking your shoe may be too tight. This happened to me with a particular pair of Nike shoes. With regards to the shin, hopefully, that will take care of itself too. The key here is that you are not ignoring the groans from your body. Keep listening and you'll have a better chance of remaining injury free.

Listen, if I can run a marathon...you can run a marathon. These little wrinkles will work themselves out and you'll be ready before you know it.

Take care.

Phil said...

Bruce ... thanks for stopping by my blog. I really appreciate your comments. Congratulations on your soccer coaching. I coached for 3 years when my daughter was a lot younger and was still playing at a recreational level. It was a blast.

Numb feet is something with which I have a lot of experience. Not many answers, but lots of experience. Mine has nothing to do with tight shoes or anything else external. It seems to be due to nerve impingement somewhere in my ankles or feet. Fortunately, it comes and goes. Once I figured out that I can run through it, I stopped worrying abut it. In the Carlsbad Marathon, the bottom of my right foot started going numb on mile 5, right on schedule. By the time I finished mile 6 the foot was completely numb and with 20 miles to go, I was running on a stub. Since I didn’t have any choice, I ignored the feeling and kept going. 20 minutes later I realized that the numbness was nearly gone.

This pattern repeated on and off for the next several months. Numbness starting around 5 or 6 miles and recovery within 2 or 3 miles. I also started to notice that the numbness always starts after my Achilles tendon tightens up then relaxes.

I don’t know if any of this helps, but I’d be interested in hearing if your pathology similar. Good luck.

Thomas said...

I've had issues with numbness in my foot too, recently. It could be caused by a neuroma, but I'm not sure. However, at the moment it's simply not bad enough for me to worry much about it.

Running the half marathon in July could be part of the marathon build-up for October. Start training seriously for the marathon in June, and take in the half as a catered training run.

miss petite america said...

thanks for stopping by, bruce.

i don't know what to say about your numb toe. though it sounds like a shoe issue.

hope you can work out these "kinks" and get to some comfortable running :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by and I hope the numb foot does not cause you any major problems. I usually do not have any problems with my feet. I hope you decide to take the plunge on the marathon.

Kate said...

Hi Bruce

I'm a fellow Kiwi- planning to run my second marathon in Aucklad this October. I'll be stopping by again to see how you're doing!

Kate

Journey to a Centum said...

Bruce - If you figure out how to move that numb toe to your brain let me know. Something like that might help us all during marathons and ultras. (Some will claim that we have already perfected a numb brain).

I had the good fortune of kocking about your area several years ago when I worked for a company who's headquarters were in Hamilton. As long as they don't make you run up the Lone Tree Hill the Aukland Marathon should be reasonably flat.

Build those miles for a strong base and as Robb suggests try some other shoes. In my opinion Nike's are a fashion shoe not a marathon shoe. They don't fit me well so I'm not much of a fan. Brooks Adrenaline are my shoe. It's a stability shoe with a wide toe box and reasonable heel cup. Asics are also a good marathon shoe.

Good luck with your training!

Anonymous said...

I am 21, I ran a half marathon in Auckland with a time of 1:26:02 this year...I saw a guy with a numn toe in light bluish jersey...Is that were you bruce?