Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: What a workout

Thursday, 26 April 2007

What a workout

After a few problems with Internet access this week due to changing our ISP I'm back up and running.

As you might have guessed if you read my last post I was a little down after the weekends run, but isn't it amazing what a couple of good runs can do to lift your confidence!

Tuesday was a nice and easy 8 km (5 miles)at a comfortable slow pace. I just wanted to get through it with no problems. Due to the issues I had been having with the numb foot, I switched from the hard orthotic, which I thought might be compressing a nerve, to a soft & thin cushioning insole. I also decided to try the Pose Method again given that when I had been experimenting with this last month I didn't suffer from the dreaded numb foot.

I got through the run with only slight numbness towards the end of the run but nothing like Sunday's discomfort. The Pose style does place more stress on the calf though so I will have to keep a watch on this.

Distance - 8.16 km (5.07 miles)
Time - 42:40
Pace - 5:13 min km's (8.25 min miles)
No HR data


Today's work out was was a real blow out. It was my first real attempt at a structured up tempo run. With my first ever 5 km race coming up on Sunday, I wanted to pick things up a bit today and really test my self with some speed work. With some help from Map My Run, I measured out a 1 km section along Tamaki Drive with the idea of running each kilometer at 5 km race pace before turning and jogging back to the start point again. I did four repeats and these were the times;

1 - 4:10
2 - 4:30
3 - 4:28
4 - 4:25

Tamaki Drive is about 2 km from my office all downhill to the water so it allowed a good warm up before the repeats. Obviously it's a 2 km climb back to work but if anything that just added to the intensity of the workout. Check out the side bar where I've placed a link to a Map of the run.

I got through the whole workout with no numb foot. The calf was starting to tighten midway through the run so I reverted to my natural style which places less stress on the calfs. The calf has been a bit tight this afternoon so hopefully no repeat of last months strain. I think it will be okay.

As you can see after the first one I settled into a nice consistent pace. If I can maintain a pace of around 4:45 on Sunday for a time of 23 to 24 minutes then I will be happy with the result.

Distance - 12.6 (7.8 Miles)
Time - 1:05:40
Average pace - 5:13 min kms (8:23 min miles)
Ave HR - 154
Max HR - 175


Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

0 comments: