Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: A Swim then Physio

Tuesday, 20 March 2007

A Swim then Physio

After the Sunday's run which ended with a strained calf muscle, I am off running for the next week or so and will be spending a bit of time in the pool for the next wee while.

Today's Swim;

- Distance - 1200 metres
- Time - 34 Minutes

Reasonably happy with that effort. It's the longest I've swam for several months as I have been limiting my swims recently to 1000 meters. Given I'm not going to be running for the next week or so I felt I should up my distance in the pool to try and compensate.

On 1 April I am wanting to enter a short Triathlon. It's a 400m swim, 10K Bike and 4K Run. I can only hope my calf will be okay by then. I won't really risk it before that. I will stick to biking, swimming and jogging in the pool for the next week. Depending on how that goes I might test the calf on a short run around the middle of next week.

I'm a little unsure about whether the Pose Method has contributed to the calf strain or not. There's no question that the method does place more load on your calfs and maybe I just haven't done enough of the suggested strengthening in that area before I took up the new method.

I went to a Physiotherapist this afternoon to get the calf checked out. He confirmed that it's a minor strain and that I should be okay again in about two weeks. It's clear though that I remain generally pretty stiff through both calfs which is likely also to be the cause of the ongoing shin troubles. I have another appointment on Friday and hopefully we can work on that some more. No doubt further stretching exercises to come!


Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

0 comments: