Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Tuesday's Run

Tuesday, 13 March 2007

Tuesday's Run

After four days of waiting I felt my calfs were ready for me to give them another beating and I headed out for a run today.

Ran a 7.8k (4.85 miles) circuit around my neighborhood. Very strong head winds at certain points (start and end!) of the run made life difficult. Showery too though luckily I only struck one brief shower.

- Time 40:40, 5:21 per k or 8:38 per mile.
- Heart rate was in my comfort zone of 150-160 for much of the run though in the second half I tried pushing it a bit more and HR got into high 160's.

Felt a bit yuk for the first five minutes which I put down to my eating too close to the run plus I downed a glass of sports drink shortly before leaving. Probably need to get the fluids into me a bit sooner, however I was pressed a bit for time so was rushing.

This was my third run in the new Pose Method which I am trialing. Still feeling a little strange and I'm not sure if I've got the landing sussed yet. I seem to be landing with about 70-80% of my weight on the mid foot and 20-30% still on the heel. I think I need to be landing with almost 100% on the mid foot with next to no weight on the heel?

I seem to have the heel lift upon landing sort of figured out as well as the shorter stride length.

I also took my orthotics out of my running shoes today replacing them with a much thinner cushioned insole with no arch support. Dr Nicholas Romanov, inventor of the Pose Method, also advocates running without orthotics so I thought I would try that out also. Didn't seem to notice a huge difference. Shins are a little tender tonight but that's nothing new

My speed does not seem to have suffered at all as today's run was a PB for that circuit.

I could feel my calfs hurting reasonably early on and I suspect I will again be suffering for the next three days again!!

I am doing some of the suggested strengthening exercises for the Pose Method as well as keeping up my regular stretching, hoping that this will help.


Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

1 comments:

Thomas said...

Are you familiar with Mark's blog? He's been using the pose method for 2 years now, and he's very happy with it.