Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Training update - week 4 February

Wednesday, 7 March 2007

Training update - week 4 February

I only went for two runs last week. Saturday week ago I went out for an 8k run. I was intending to keep it a pretty low key affair given I had made plans to join some running mates for a hard 10-12Ker on the Monday morning. Well the run was not one of my best.

To start with I had eaten breakfast before the run and did not give this enough time to settle. I just felt really sluggish for much of the run. I should have known better than to eat before my run but at least now I know for next time. It soon became clear that all was not well down below, with my feet and shins. My right shin was sore and my left foot was going numb again but earlier than it usually does. I actually had to walk the last kilometre home which is something I've never done before, but I've now learned from experience that it's not a good idea to continue running on a numb foot.

- Distance run 5.5k in 30 minutes.

My right shin was not settling down so I rested for the next few days before trying another run on Thursday. It was a 8k flat course which enabled me to make it a bit of a speed session;

- Distance run 8k in 40 minutes at average speed of 4.58 minutes per K (excluding stops). I stopped to stretch out my calfs at 30 minutes as the numb foot was coming on.

Other training last week consisted of one swim session in which I swam 1000 metres in about 30 minutes and today I went for bike ride of just over 20K in just over an hour (it's only a mountain bike if that sounds a bit slow!)

I have decided that after the Round the Bays I will take a break from running for about two to three months to try and give these injuries a break. This week I came across a Blog titled A Passion for Running in which the writer explains that he has adopted a style of running called The Pose Method". Essentially it is a method of running which encourages you to land on the balls of your feet rather than your heel and it is said to be more efficient and safer than the traditional heel striking style of running.

It is something that I will investigate further and may yet decide to give it a try when I start up again with a view to again entering the Auckland Half Marathon In October.

My training over the next few weeks will consist only two runs per week leading in to the Round the Bays and then just Swimming and Biking and maybe a small amount of weights.


Technorati Tags


Digg!

0 comments: