Blog Directory - Blogged A Kiwi on the Run: Treading Carefully - A Comeback Run

Tuesday, 27 March 2007

Treading Carefully - A Comeback Run

Today was supposed to be a swim day. My first run back since straining the calf was going to be Thursday.

How quickly things can change. I ended up being too busy at work to get down to the pool at lunch time and then could still not leave work early enough to both get to the pool on the way home and be home in time to spend some time with the boys.

I needed to do something though after doing nothing on Sunday or Monday, so I decided to bring forward the comeback run and head out for a light jog after the boys went to bed.

I went to the Physio again today and he seemed happy with the progress. I had no discomfort when hopping on the one leg and had good strength in the calf. Just some slight tenderness when prodded.

I felt confident enough then go and test it out.

- Distance - 2.8 km (1.75 miles)
- Time - About 15 or 16 minutes
- No HR data

The calf felt a little sore but gradually got better I guess as it warmed up. I'm sticking with the Pose Method for now as I feel confident that there is something to this technique that can be of benefit to me, particularly with my history of shin splints. I was able to get through the run with no major discomfort. Some slight tightness afterwards.

The Physio can not believe how tight I am through my calfs even after almost about nine months of fairly regular stretching which I started in the lead up to my first Half Marathon last year. I also explained the numbness I had been experiencing in my foot after 30-40 minutes of running and he suspected Plantar Fasciitis.He's referring me to a Sport Podiatrist who will hopefully be able to help further with these matters as well as perhaps advising me on an appropriate running style, ie on the switch to Pose/forefoot running or staying with heel striking.



Technorati Tags

 Subscribe in a reader

1 comments:

Thomas said...

Make sure you don't overdo it with the pose method. It needs gentle introduction. When Mark started on that method he said that initially he could run no more than 100 meters or so doing pose at any one time.